Valorization of algae for a better taste
The aim of the Interreg 2 Seas project ValgOrize is to locally grow and harvest high quality, stable and safe algae biomass for food and feed purposes in a sustainable way. For more information:
Currently, only 0,1 tons of algae biomass is produced in the EU and only 9% is valorized as food. Given that the world must produce 50 to 70% more food by 2050, the entire European value chain of algae biomass must be further developed.
Some questions that need to be solved:
- How to sustainably grow and harvest seaweed and microalgae in Europe?
- How to assess the sustainability of the entire value chain?
- What are the taste features and how to assess the taste parameters of algae?
- Can algae growth be steered for a better taste?
- What is the impact of algae in chicken feed on meat and egg quality?
- What is the investment needed to meet the demand for algae in Europe?
On February 9 in the afternoon the 12 international partners of ValgOrize would like to invite you to a stakeholder event to explain how they will try to answer this questions by the end of 2021 and… what’s in it for you.